Navigating this site:
- Use the menus immediately above this
- Use "you are here" to the extreme left
- Use the myFIA sitemap
The full width horizontal menu...
... at the very top is an alternative UKAPW navigation – not for myFIA navigation.
The verdict on UKAPW
Surveys have disappeared from the UKAPW, but I captured this April 2010(??) survey:
- 73 voters (30%) "loved the look and feel"
- 96 voters (40%) "still needs improvement"
- 57 voters (24%) "preferred the old website"
- 14 voters (6%) were "not sure yet"
That's 3 / 10 on appearance, at best
Related links: UKAPW
My favourite 2011 events:
Other external links
External support for the 2010 UKAPW changes:
Actuaries: we can do better
Many believe the UK Actuarial Profession's website (UKAPW) needs significant work. This is my contribution. myFIA includes:
World class member support: the presidential target
Ronnie Bowie's Faculty Presidential address
The world needs actuaries stated: "... the UK Profession will strive to become a world class member
support organisation, supporting our members so that it is as easy as possible for them to continually develop and enhance their skills to meet
each new challenge." The UKAPW should support this aim.
Selling the actuarial profession short
We have a problem: despite several redesigns, the UKAPW fails to reach basic standards of transparency and ease of use.
- Insiders: Members and students struggle with the basics e.g. logging CPD, finding papers relating to past actuarial events.
- Outsiders looking in: users of actuarial advice and graduates who are potential actuaries. What impression does the site create?
The UKAPW site does not live up to the "world class support" aim, especially contrasted with (e.g.) the SOA site – see our SOA review
But it's within our capabilities to fix it – fast. If we don't why should anyone believe we can tackle the harder problem of making financial sense of the future? How can we fix the site?
My doorway to the UKAPW
The left hand column has the UKAPW functionality and links I use regularly. Immediately below are my favourite external actuarial links.
Next steps: 3 ways forward for myFIA
The more important thing is "what's next for the UKAPW?" Read more ...